INFRARED - INstitutional FRAmework for Regional Environmental Development
The projects main objective was to develop the capacity to deal with pollution prevention on a regional (river basin) and local level in the Republika Srpska (RS), to be applicable to other regions of Bosnia and Herzegovina.
Specific objectives were to:
- overview the current situation and identify gaps in environmental planning and development in RS;
- develop a framework for national-regional and regional-local cooperation;
- develop local ability to produce and implement regional environmental APs through the elaboration of guidelines, training, and software support;
- carry-out pilot studies on regional environmental planning in two river basin systems (Vrbas and TrebiÅ¡njica);
- train professionals from local authorities in the environmental protection and management field;
- increase public awareness via workshops, dissemination and discussions; and
- create a DSS on a regional and local levels.
As a result the project has contributed to the preparatory work for future RBMP for the Vrbas and TrebiÅ¡njica river basins. The project was complementary to another project financed with CARDS funding.