QUALIWATER - Diagnosis and Control of Salinity and Nitrate Pollution in Mediterranean Irrigated Agriculture
The aim of the project QualiWater was to provide scientific, technical and socio-economic information on salt and nitrogen contamination, and on pollution control measures in Mediterranean irrigated agriculture.
The main activities of the project were:
- Input-output mass balances in representative irrigation districts and assessment of salt and nitrogen pollution effects of present agricultural management;
- Model simulation studies analysing potential best management strategies for pollution control;
- Evaluation of these strategies in selected pilot field trials (in particular: scheduling of irrigation, nitrogen fertilisation and reuse of drainage waters for irrigation);
- Socio-economic analysis of present agricultural management and of source-sink pollution control management alternatives; and
- Dissemination of results to water users and policy makers.